Check me out!

Hey guys! Thanks for checking out my page and following my journey. It's been an insane ride so far, but it has only just begun! Writing a blog and keeping my friends and family updated on my status is important to me, so here we go...

Tuesday, April 8, 2014

The night before 2nd craniotomy update

Good evening to all of my Timmy followers:

I thought I would take the time to update those who want to know about my progress before my surgery. So, if you read my last post it said I was scheduled for surgery on April 8th. Well, after finding out that my insurance was taken at Piedmont Brain Tumor Center in Atlanta, GA I decided to grace Dr. Chandler with my presence once again. Everything happened very quickly and once I made the decision I had to schedule a consultation with Dr. Chandler (my surgeon), Dr. Dunbar (the neuro oncologist who specializes and only focuses on brain tumors), pre-op, and another MRI as well as the surgery. Anthony, my dad and I packed up and drove to Atlanta this past Sunday, April 6th in preparation for the appointments and the surgery which is now scheduled on the 10th. My mom, step dad and sister will be joining my "Timmy entourage" tomorrow (Wednesday).

Thank goodness for my very good friends, Lindsey and Will and their two daughters, for their unbelievable hospitality. They have blessed us with a place to stay for free for the week while we are here. A lot of this would not have been possible without them. THANK YOU Lindsey, Will, Mia, and Livy!

So, I had my appointments with Dr. Chandler and Dr. Dunbar yesterday. Got a big hug from Dr. Chandler! He is so awesome...while I was eager to discuss what was going to happen come day of sugery, he was eager to find out what I had been up to the past two years of my life instead. After telling him about the birth of my niece, passing the Florida state licensure exam for Mental Health Counseling (LMHC), starting an incredible career with Wounded Warrior Project, staying active with soccer and crossfit, and of course GETTING MARRIED in September we were able to discuss Timmy. He and I reviewed the past couple of weeks of craziness that started this mess from the night of the seizure (March 8th), the trip to the ER with a CAT scan and MRI, the meeting with Dr. Nijjar (nuerologist/ March 12th), the 2nd MRI with Baptist (March 14th), the call from Dr. Petre 3 hours later (nuerosurgeon at Bapist that took over for Dr. Chandler when he left to go to Piedmont), to the meeting with Dr. Petre(March 17th) in order to discuss the infamous new spot and treatment options. After meeting with Dr. Chandler Monday, I immediaely met with Dr. Dunbar. She basically reiterated everything Dr. Chandler said, provided me with a ton of information on my type of tumor, and agreed that sugery was the best option because until we know what it is we can't really discuss options for "treatment." What I do know is that I will have to do radiation and chemo if it's a higher grade and if it is the same low grade then I could just continue with MRI's as I have been. Regardless, literature and research do not show favorable long term outcomes. But since when I have I fit statistics?

Today I had yet another MRI that they will then use for the sugery itself. I had what they call a functional MRI on top of the with and without contrast MRI. Basically, in the functional MRI, they have you tap your fingers and wiggle your toes that light up the parts of the brain that control that part so they can avoid causing as much damage as possible to my right side since that is my dominant side. The machine they used, I was told, is one of three of the same, unique and most powerful MRI machines in the state of GA. It was crazy loud and a crazy long process...like two hours. Now, tomorrow I just relax, enjoy my stay and wait for Thursday when the surgery is scheduled. I have to be at the hospital at 5:30am Thursday, surgery is scheduled for 7:30am. Dr. Chandler does not believe the surgery will take longer than about an hour and a half. He expects that I will be up and around by the end of the day and said I may be discharged by Friday if all goes well. It will all depend on the surgery and again, we won't know until we know.

Other than that, it is just a hurry up and wait type thing. And that's what we shall do. Hurry up and wait for the pathology results, hurry up and wait for the treatment options...but I will not hurry up and wait to live life. I will continue living life as I always have. :) Goodnight folks!

 Until next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment