Check me out!

Hey guys! Thanks for checking out my page and following my journey. It's been an insane ride so far, but it has only just begun! Writing a blog and keeping my friends and family updated on my status is important to me, so here we go...

Tuesday, April 10, 2012

A REAL knight in shining armor

This entry is to tell you all about me and my boyfriend, my rock, my love. Anthony and I met like a lot of couples this day and age...on an online dating site. I saw his profile and wrote him an email. We shared a great, in depth conversation over multiple emails in the course of a couple weeks before we decided to meet face to face in person. When we did, we met at Yoga Berry (YOBE) on September 8, 2011. We talked for hours before I had to end that lovely evening to go home and give my cat a shot (she had diabetes). We stayed in contact and met up 2 or 3 times following September 8 and I will tell you, Anthony was such a gentleman. He was so sweet, soft spoken, quirky and funny, intelligent, and had a HUGE interest in cars which I think is where we hit it off most. :) It wasn't long, though, when our dating relationship would be shattered with uncertainty. Anthony had invited me to a car show Sunday October 9, 2011. But, that life altering car accident happened October 8 and I remember when I got to the hospital, all I could think of was that I had to call him and tell him I probably wouldn't be making it to the car show with him. When I called, he was in St. Augustine visiting with his grandfather and immediately told me that he would head to the hospital. I tried to tell him not to come to the hospital and that I would call him when I was released. Little did I know at the time that I wouldn't be released for 3 days. Anthony showed up to the hospital and sat by my side. He followed me to Baptist Downtown when I was transferred after they found the brain mass. He was quiet, he held my hand, and was a strong and loving presence in a very scary time in my life.

I am going to pause here to say this, I wasn't sure about Anthony then. I wasn't sure I was ready for a relationship at that time. But what I came to realize about Anthony in those days that followed my accident, in the days and evenings he spent at my side while I was in the hospital bed was this: he was pretty amazing. And I was lucky to have him apart of my life.
Anthony stayed with me a lot in the following weeks, caring for me after my accident and providing comfort and companionship. When I had my biopsy in November, he stayed over night at the hospital with me and took me home when I was released. Then came my diagnosis in December. I called him immediately following my appointment with Dr. Chandler when I found out what kind of brain tumor I had. Again, he was quiet. He had questions, but we would have to continue the conversation when I got home from work....and we did. I sat on the couch with him and talked to him about the diagnosis and what I had learned about it so far that day. Before going to sleep that night he asked me if there was anything he could do for me. He expressed his concern for my well being and told me that if I needed to cry, or if I needed anything that he would be the shoulder to lean on. I gave him an option that night: either stay in this relationship, stay with me and endure this journey, or leave now. I wouldn't have been mad at him if he had decided to leave our very new, still blossoming relationship. Afterall, how can you ask someone to stay with you not knowing whether or not you'll survive more than 10 years? I found out quickly, though, that you can't make that decision for someone else. It wasn't my decision, it would inevitably be his decision and I probably wouldn't be able to sway it either way. Needless to say, he came home from work the next day and had bought me flowers and the sweetest card. The card basically read like this: "I'm not going anywhere." 

And so it was, me and Anthony, on this journey...my hand in his every step of the way. Anthony and I have only been dating since September 8, 2011. It's been just over 7 months but we have endured more in 7 months then I think most couples have in years! I couldn't have asked for anyone better in my life during this time or at all. He really brings true meaning to the "in sickness and in health" phrase that marriages are supposed to be built upon. He came along in a time in my life when I wasn't sure I was ready for something more meaningful or more serious than just dating and became someone I love, respect, and am in complete awe of for being my rock and taking on a life with someone with an uncertain future. He is what fairy tales are made of...he is a real knight in shining armor, he is MY knight in shining armor. I love you Anthony Richardson!!

No comments:

Post a Comment