Check me out!

Hey guys! Thanks for checking out my page and following my journey. It's been an insane ride so far, but it has only just begun! Writing a blog and keeping my friends and family updated on my status is important to me, so here we go...

Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Post surgery...and still kickin'


So, it has been almost two weeks since I had brain surgery. Two weeks Thursday to be exact. And as you might be able to gather from me writing this blog...it went remarkably well. I went in for surgery at 5:30am April 26, 2012 and was released from the hospital around 4pm April 28, 2012 to finish my recovery at home. I was up walking the hallways of the ICU the day after surgery, and was moved to a regular room the second night. The day of surgery I was wiggling my toes, lifting my arms and legs, and showing good signs of strength on my right side...the side that is supposed to have been affected most by the surgery.
As some might imagine or have personal experience with, you don't get much rest while laid up in a hospital bed so when I got home all I did was sleep for the first couple days. Some days were better than others...some most certainly more painful than others. Medications helped take the edge off my skull hurting as much as it did for a bit, but I tried my hardest to only take Tylenol when I could stand it because the medications made me zombie like. I stopped taking all medications last Thursday night (well other than my seizure meds like I have to take).
As for effects stemming from surgery, there have been several. Everything, though, has been better than expected from the beginning. First and foremost, my depth sensation is out of whack and if you don't know what that means...imagine opening your fridge and hitting yourself in the face with the door because you dont realize how close in proximity it really is, haha!! Imagine also reaching for the bathroom faucet and missing it entirely only to hit your hand on the back wall or mirror...both happen to me still at times. I had a lot of coordination issues in the the first week also, difficulty typing, texting, writing, sometimes understanding too. All of which has improved as time goes on and as I continue to practice my fine motor skills...and all of which still need tuning up before I am back to "normal".
I have my post op appointment with Dr. Chandler, my surgeon, on Friday and I cant wait to find out what else I will have to do before I can return to work and most of all driving. I feel confident that I will be back to a normal routine far before anyone expected and look forward to moving on with my life. I did find out a couple days after surgery that as of right now I will not need any further treatment...no chemotherapy, no radiation, just follow ups in a few months!! They got all of the tumor they could get and the results showed only stage II throughout which is great news! God truly had his hand in this!
This is a shorter blog than my others mainly because it is taking me forever to type it (like two hours) and I am getting tired, but know that I feel truly blessed with how far I have come in such a short period of time. I am also truly thankful for everyone who has supported me through this journey. I will write in more detail in the coming weeks about everything so stay tuned! :)

1 comment:

  1. Tara, this is great news! I am so happy that you are doing well. Know that everyone is thinking of you. You are such a strong lady!!

    ReplyDelete